Saturday, April 21, 2012

Increasing APM

....is there any way to, other than from playing games?|||use custom keys. Maked by yourself, you become one with your keyboard ^^.|||i already know the custom keys by heart, but the main problem with me is that sometimes i forget to macromanage my base at times when im creeping and such. basically i forget to pay attention to my base for a minute or two while i could've been building some units or structures.

here's a replay of me trying out a strat with HU and forgetting to make stuff while i have gold flowing out of my ears.|||My hint: **** APM. APM doesn't matter as long as you win. Micro isn't equal to APM. You could mass order wisp to harvest wood and have 9999999 apm and you still lose.|||^^ JacekRoC is only partially right. Note that there is a strong correlation between strong players and apm (the better the player, the higher the apm), but that doesn't mean that one causes the other. What you do mean, is "how can I improve on my micro-management skills?" That question has already been answered. Since my mastery over hotkeys is minimal, I use the bare minimum amount of hotkeys. This is what I use:

When you start your base, memorize the hotkeys for peon/peasant/wisp/aco build orders: "B" is build, "A" is altar, then keys differ for barracks and farms.

Set control groups - I usually have my army, or heros as #2, and all of my unit producing buildings (barracks, ancients, altar, etc) as #1. Sometimes I hotkey my upgrade building.

When you have a group selected, use your "tab" key to go through your army or buildings.

Lastly, make sure you know where the rally points are. Rally points on heros is generally a good idea.

EDIT: Sometimes macromanagement is more important than micromanagement, especially in the lower levels of gameplay. I'm also too lazy to write out tips for macro control, but the above micro tools should help you out, as long as you keep an eye on your resources. I didn't watch your replay - no cd with me.|||yea APM doesnt mean micro i could get 400 apm if i wanted to, but that woudnt make me better

whats really important is to have a solid strat and know how to counter, i mean frost wyrms vs bears need no apm at all|||its called dryads.













but anyways, imo jacek is more or less right, who cares bout apm. just improve your micro by continuing to practise.|||Thanks for the advice everyone, especially Ferrous. Yeah, i hotkey most of my buildings(unit-producing ones) and i do set the rally to my heroes. my main problem is forgetting to build units and structures at vital points of the strat im using. I guess im just going to try and remember and practice the strat more often.|||wtf Ipard wouldnt frost wyrms fuk dyrads...? jeez noog. ^_^

I myself might have gone overboard with hotkeys. I use hotkeys for basically everything. Its gotten me in trouble sometimes, b/c i forget to use drag-select in battles for better placement >< I have all my buildings control grouped and a worker. All units are also. I know hotkeys for units, heroes, upgrades, buildings, commands, spells, etc. O_o And i use custom keys....

>< Its good to know them, but you dont need to know them this well.

APM doesnt = skill. Grubby usually has the lower APM in most games. When he plays zadz zad's apm is like double, and grub still wins. =O

Its knowing how to use that skill of "fast hands" which gives you high APM, not just mass clicking your altar barracks at the beginning of the game so you get a heart attack xD

No comments:

Post a Comment